Tuesday 11 January 2011

Thoughts for the Day

Last night I finished reading The Thorn by Beverly Lewis. Beverly writes Amish fiction and I love all of her books.

In The Thorn a young Amish woman named Hen has left the Amish community to marry an outsider. She has left her quiet Amish ways to embrace the English world and all of it's modern conveniences.

Five years after leaving the Amish Hen is noticing her young daughter is whiny and isn't a very obedient child. She is seeing worldly dress and MTV creeping into her daughters life and Hen starts to reconsider leaving her Amish ways. She is being drawn back to the People and their quiet ways. She starts to ponder all the things she left behind.

As I was reading the book I longed for quiet times. It seems the tv is constantly blaring. We are on the go with a rush rush rush mindset. I think the devil has completed a master plan that he put in place years ago. He has achieved his goal to keep our minds (and bodies) so busy that we miss God's still small voice.

And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD. And, behold, the LORD passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD; [but] the LORD [was] not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; [but] the LORD [was] not in the earthquake: And after the earthquake a fire; [but] the LORD [was] not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. I Kings 19:11,12

God wasn't in the wind or the earthquake or the fire, but in the still small voice. We have to settle and quiet ourselves to be able to hear him. With music blaring, tv screaming at us 16 hours a day and running to and fro, how will we ever hear Him? Yes, I think satan worked that out quite nicely for himself.

As I spend January reflecting on 2010 and looking forward to 2011 I think a new goal for myself will be to slow down, quiet down, and listen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...